The City of Chicago has partnered with the Water Pipe Extension, Bureau of Engineering Laborers’ Local 1092 to establish a training program that combines 360 hours of class room training and instruction with 3,800 hours of paid on-the- job training (OJT) and work experience
Positions attend classroom instruction through the Chicagoland Laborers Training and Apprentice Center, and are not paid by the City for the hours of classroom instruction.
Upon successful completion of the training program, positions are awarded a certificate of completion of the Laborers’ Training Program by LiUNA Local Union 1092. A subcommittee of representatives from Local 1092 and city departments overseeing the training program will certify the completion of all program requirements for each position.
Apply Here: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/100/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
· Complete 360 hour formal training program of classroom instruction
· Complete 3, 800 hours of paid on-the-job training (OJT) under the guidance and direction of a Construction Laborer
· Learn how to safely prepare work sites, digging and backfilling trenches and tunnel and shaft excavations
· Learn how to safely remove dirt and clear obstructions from around work areas (e.g. catch basins, valve basins, water and electrical vaults, manholes)
· Learn how to safely set braces and shoring equipment and drive sheeting to support the sides of excavations and prevent cave-ins
· Learn how to safely dismantle concrete and masonry retaining and bearing walls
· Learn how to safely operate and maintain pneumatic tools (e.g. jack hammers, concrete/pavement breakers, sandblasters, clay spades) in the performance of tasks including breaking out old pavement, curbs and gutters
· Learn how to safely use hand tools (e.g. shovels, picks, sledgehammers) in the performance of tasks including removing rock in underground tunnels
· Apply knowledge obtained through classroom instruction including safety procedures and practices for trenching and excavation; pipe laying; concrete placement and mason tending
· Apply skills obtained through classroom instruction including the safe and proper use of pneumatic tools; the building and dismantling of scaffolds; and the safe and proper operation of various construction equipment
· Assist skilled trades workers in readying and supplying needed tools, equipment and materials
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Days Off: Varies
THESE POSITIONS ARE SEASONAL
Willingness and ability to perform the job duties. Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
NOTE: Successful candidates must pass a drug screen, background investigation, physical and required pre-employment exams.
NOTE: This position requires candidate(s) to complete a Willing and Able questionnaire. Candidate(s) who affirmatively answer the Willing and Able questionnaire will be evaluated for further consideration.
NOTE: You must provide valid proof of age at time of processing.
VETERANS PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers Veterans Preference to both current, active military personnel AND military personnel who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and have received an honorable or general discharge. Eligible candidates must have at least six months of active duty documented. In order to receive the veterans preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a veteran by answering "yes" or "no" to the question on the online application that asks, "Are you currently serving on active duty for at least six months in the Armed Forces of the United States OR have you served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for at least six months and received an honorable or general discharge?" In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your military service. For veterans, you must attach a copy of your DD214 to your online application which includes character of service status OR a letter from the United States Veterans Administration on official stationery stating dates of service and character of service. For active military personnel, you must attach a letter from your Commanding Officer on official stationery verifying your active duty, length of service, and character of service in the Armed Forces of the United States AND a copy of your military ID to your online application. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the Veterans Preference.
CPS GRADUATE PREFERENCE NOTE: The City of Chicago offers a CPS Graduate Preference to high school graduates from the Chicago Public School system. In order to receive the CPS Graduate Preference, candidates need to indicate whether or not they are a CPS high school graduate by answering "yes" or "no" to the question on the online application that asks, "Are you a high school graduate of the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and do you want to be considered for this preference?" In addition, you must attach documentation to verify your high school graduation from a Chicago Public High School. You must attach a copy of your high school transcripts or diploma from a Chicago Public High School. Failure to answer the question and attach the required documentation will result in you not being considered for the CPS Graduate Preference.
Evaluation: Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applications will be accepted.
Residency Requirement: An employee must be an actual resident of the City of Chicago. Proof of residency will be required at the time of employment.
If you are disabled and require a reasonable accommodation to file your application, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources at 312-744-4976, TTY: 312-744-5035. You will be required to provide information regarding your request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Job Posting: May 2, 2014, 12:01:00 AM | Closing Date (Period for Applying) - External: May 16, 2014, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 53 | Salary: $22.20/Hourly Pay Basis:Yearly